Kidwelly Castle - Castles of Wales
Visit Kidwelly Castle with the Castles of Wales Explorer Pass
Your key to unlock Wales' greatest castles, in one ticket!
The Castles of Wales Explorer Pass offers the freedom to explore all of Cadw's historic attractions and help you get the most out of your visit to Wales.
- Entry to 25 Welsh castles and attractions (see additional info for full list)
- Visit as many castle as you want
- Choice of either the 3 day pass or 7 day pass (the 3 day pass gives you 3 days of entrance and is valid for a 7 day period. The 7 day pass gives you 7 days of entrance, valid for 14 days)
- Save lots of money!
Book your Castle of Wales Explorer Pass by tapping 'Book' on this page. Once booked, your pass will be sent to you by email. Show this pass upon entry to all attractions either on your device or print if you prefer.
The Python-approved castle!
Kidwelly Castle is a stunning fortress that rises high over the peaceful river Gwendraeth.
This beautiful castle has seen war in spades throughout its long life, leaving behind a remarkable legacy including heroes like Princess Gwenllian.
Part of this legacy also includes the castle appearing in one of the first scenes in the all-time classic, Monty Python and the Holy Grail. There's no doubt that it was chosen in part because of the striking sight this place imposes upon the idyllic landscape.
A castle within a castle
Kidwelly Castle was first built in the 12th-century as a much less impressive Norman fort made of wood. But as the Normans fought with the native Welsh princes for control, the castle changed hands many times.
By the late 13th-century, it had been rebuilt as the formidable stone structure you see today.
This castle was so well defended, in fact, that even the forces of Owain Glyndwr failed to successfully capture it, breaking their siege after months of trying.
As you explore these well-preserved ruins, you're sure to be impressed by the sheer size of the walls and the towers.
A place of legends
During the 12th-century, the castle saw one of its most memorable battles: Princess Gwenllian led an army to this place to fight the Norman lord of Kidwelly Castle, Maurice de Londres.
This made Gwenllian the only woman to ever lead a medieval Welsh army into battle, a true warrior princess.
While Gwenllian was defeated, her loss was not in vain: it helped inspire an uprising that would eventually kick the Normans out of Wales for good.
You'll be back for more history
Kidwelly Castle will leave you with a lasting impression, and we know you'll want to plan a visit to this fantastic fortress soon.
There’s plenty to do in the nearby town of Kidwelly while you’re here, like checking out all the shops in the colourful town centre, or taking a walk along the beautiful beach. A trip to this part of Carmarthenshire always makes for a lovely day out!
What other Cadw attractions can I visit with the Castles of Wales Pass?
- Beaumaris Castle, Anglesey
- Blaenavon Ironworks, Torfaen
- Caerleon Roman Baths, Newport
- Caernarfon Castle, Gwynedd
- Caerphilly Castle, Caerphilly
- Carreg Cennen Castle, Carmarthenshire
- Castell Coch, Cardiff
- Chepstow Castle, Monmouthshire
- Cilgerran Castle, Pembrokeshire
- Conwy Castle, Conwy
- Criccieth Castle, Gwynedd
- Denbigh Castle, Denbighshire
- Harlech Castle, Gwynedd
- Kidwelly Castle, Carmarthenshire
- Laugharne Castle, Carmarthenshire
- Oxwich Castle, Swansea
- Plas Mawr Elizabethan Town House, Conwy
- Raglan Castle, Monmouthshire
- Rhuddlan Castle, Denbighshire
- Rug Chapel, Denbighshire
- St Davids Bishop's Palace, Pembrokeshire
- Tintern Abbey, Monmouthshire
- Tretower Court and Castle, Powys
- Valle Crucis Abbey, Denbighshire
- Weobley Castle, Swansea
- Free parking
People also ask:
Castles of Wales Explorer 3-day pass and 7-day pass explained:
- The 3 day pass gives you 3 days of free entrance, that is valid for a 7 day period. The 7 day pass gives you 7 days of free entrance, valid for 14 days.
- The passes have been designed to be flexible and suit families and tourists spending one or two week weeks in Wales.
How much money will I save with the Castles of Wales Explorer Pass?
- The more castles you see the more you'll save.
- Entry to the Castles of Wales can be anywhere between £8-£15 (approx) each, so this pass is great for anyone wishing to visit a bunch castes on their visit to Wales.
- You can visit a lot of castles in 1-2 weeks!
Who is the Castles of Wales Explorer Pass for?
- Ideal for anyone looking for things to do in Wales, for anyone wanting to soak up as much Welsh culture as possible, and perfect for families on a budget!
- Wales is often referred to as the "Castle Capital of the World" and has more castles per square mile than any other country, so this pass is also great for any tourists coming to Wales too!
What does Cadw mean?
- Cadw [cad-oo] is the Welsh word for 'castle' or 'keep'
What are the Castle of Wales Explorer Pass family tickets?
- 2 adults and up to 3 children/grandchildren under 18. Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
What Cadw attractions are included in the Castle of Wales Explorer Pass?
- Beaumaris Castle
- Blaenavon Ironworks
- Caerleon Roman Baths
- Caernarfon Castle
- Caerphilly Castle
- Carreg Cennen Castle
- Castell Coch
- Chepstow Castle
- Cilgerran Castle
- Conwy Castle
- Criccieth Castle
- Denbigh Castle
- Harlech Castle
- Kidwelly Castle
- Laugharne Castle
- Oxwich Castle
- Plas Mawr Elizabethan Town House
- Raglan Castle
- Rhuddlan Castle
- Rug Chapel
- St Davids Bishop's Palace
- Tintern Abbey
- Tretower Court and Castle
- Valle Crucis Abbey
- Weobley Castle
You might also like
Visit the National Botanic Garden of Wales this Christmas for a breath-taking winter light trail under the stars. Tickets are selling fast!
Visit Carreg Cennen Castle and get your Castles of Wales Pass today to visit over 25 castles and heritage sites in Wales
Visit Laugharne Castle and get your Castles of Wales Pass today to visit over 25 castles and heritage sites in Wales
Visit Oxwich Castle and get your Castles of Wales Pass today to visit over 25 castles and heritage sites in Wales
Visit Tintern Abbey and get your Castles of Wales Pass today to visit over 25 castles and heritage sites in Wales
Visit Harlech Castle and get your Castles of Wales Pass today to visit over 25 castles and heritage sites in Wales
Visit Caerphilly Castle and get your Castles of Wales Pass today to visit over 25 castles and heritage sites in Wales
Visit Castell Coch and get your Castles of Wales Pass today to visit over 25 castles and heritage sites in Wales