Rug Chapel - Castles of Wales
Visit Rug Chapel with the Castles of Wales Explorer Pass
Your key to unlock Wales' greatest castles, in one ticket!
The Castles of Wales Explorer Pass offers the freedom to explore all of Cadw's historic attractions and help you get the most out of your visit to Wales.
- Entry to 25 Welsh castles and attractions (see additional info for full list)
- Visit as many castle as you want
- Choice of either the 3 day pass or 7 day pass (the 3 day pass gives you 3 days of entrance and is valid for a 7 day period. The 7 day pass gives you 7 days of entrance, valid for 14 days)
- Save lots of money!
Book your Castle of Wales Explorer Pass by tapping 'Book' on this page. Once booked, your pass will be sent to you by email. Show this pass upon entry to all attractions either on your device or print if you prefer.
A historic landmark with a special atmosphere
Enjoy a beautiful day out when you head to Rug Chapel in the parish of Corwen, Denbighshire.
Walking through the beautiful garden towards the chapel will give you a hint of the rich interior inside the church.
Smell the amazing aromas of the herbs, roses, and lavender as you make your way up to the chapel - one of the very rare 17th-century churches that were untouched by the ‘restorers’ of the Victorian Gothic revival.
You'll be wowed before even stepping into the building as you sit in the tranquil gardens with the birds singing around you. This was the private church of Colonel William Salesbury, also known as ‘Hen Hosanau Gleision’ or Old Blue Stockings.
Some believe his prayers under the beautiful church roof were the reason why the monarchy returned in 1660.
Salesbury was a Royalist who defended the nearby Denbigh Castle throughout the Civil War before he surrendered to parliamentary forces.
Inside the magnificent chapel
Your eyes will light up as you become mesmerised when entering through the arched doorway. See the talent and creativity all around through the decorative flourishes at every turn. You'll get a real feeling of peace and calm in this stunning building.
Take a moment to admire the outstanding carved roof, painted in a splendid flowing floral design and four wooden angels overlooking the scene.
We recommend staying a while to have a closer look at all the details, especially the exquisite stained windows with their colours brightened in the sunlight.
Tilt your head up towards the wooden beam ceiling and marvel at the decorations of intricate scrolls as well as red and white roses.
You'll hear the echo of your shoes as you walk on the tiles and move to the north wall to see the skeleton and skull which are placed in a portico with columns on either side.
This slightly morbid sight was intended to remind the congregation of their own mortality!
Round the day off with a lovely meal
Listen to the trees rustling in the wind as you head back outside to the fresh air. Take a seat on the grass and have a picnic.
Enjoy the rest of your time at Rug Chapel tucking into delicious homemade sandwiches and refreshingly cool drinks. A trip to this beautiful location never disappoints.
What other Cadw attractions can I visit with the Castles of Wales Pass?
- Beaumaris Castle, Anglesey
- Blaenavon Ironworks, Torfaen
- Caerleon Roman Baths, Newport
- Caernarfon Castle, Gwynedd
- Caerphilly Castle, Caerphilly
- Carreg Cennen Castle, Carmarthenshire
- Castell Coch, Cardiff
- Chepstow Castle, Monmouthshire
- Cilgerran Castle, Pembrokeshire
- Conwy Castle, Conwy
- Criccieth Castle, Gwynedd
- Denbigh Castle, Denbighshire
- Harlech Castle, Gwynedd
- Kidwelly Castle, Carmarthenshire
- Laugharne Castle, Carmarthenshire
- Oxwich Castle, Swansea
- Plas Mawr Elizabethan Town House, Conwy
- Raglan Castle, Monmouthshire
- Rhuddlan Castle, Denbighshire
- Rug Chapel, Denbighshire
- St Davids Bishop's Palace, Pembrokeshire
- Tintern Abbey, Monmouthshire
- Tretower Court and Castle, Powys
- Valle Crucis Abbey, Denbighshire
- Weobley Castle, Swansea
- Free parking
People also ask:
Castles of Wales Explorer 3-day pass and 7-day pass explained:
- The 3 day pass gives you 3 days of free entrance, that is valid for a 7 day period. The 7 day pass gives you 7 days of free entrance, valid for 14 days.
- The passes have been designed to be flexible and suit families and tourists spending one or two week weeks in Wales.
How much money will I save with the Castles of Wales Explorer Pass?
- The more castles you see the more you'll save.
- Entry to the Castles of Wales can be anywhere between £8-£15 (approx) each, so this pass is great for anyone wishing to visit a bunch castes on their visit to Wales.
- You can visit a lot of castles in 1-2 weeks!
Who is the Castles of Wales Explorer Pass for?
- Ideal for anyone looking for things to do in Wales, for anyone wanting to soak up as much Welsh culture as possible, and perfect for families on a budget!
- Wales is often referred to as the "Castle Capital of the World" and has more castles per square mile than any other country, so this pass is also great for any tourists coming to Wales too!
What does Cadw mean?
- Cadw [cad-oo] is the Welsh word for 'castle' or 'keep'
What are the Castle of Wales Explorer Pass family tickets?
- 2 adults and up to 3 children/grandchildren under 18. Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
What Cadw attractions are included in the Castle of Wales Explorer Pass?
- Beaumaris Castle
- Blaenavon Ironworks
- Caerleon Roman Baths
- Caernarfon Castle
- Caerphilly Castle
- Carreg Cennen Castle
- Castell Coch
- Chepstow Castle
- Cilgerran Castle
- Conwy Castle
- Criccieth Castle
- Denbigh Castle
- Harlech Castle
- Kidwelly Castle
- Laugharne Castle
- Oxwich Castle
- Plas Mawr Elizabethan Town House
- Raglan Castle
- Rhuddlan Castle
- Rug Chapel
- St Davids Bishop's Palace
- Tintern Abbey
- Tretower Court and Castle
- Valle Crucis Abbey
- Weobley Castle
You might also like
Visit Rhuddlan Castle and get your Castles of Wales Pass today to visit over 25 castles and heritage sites in Wales
Visit Tretower Court and Castle and get your Castles of Wales Pass today to visit over 25 castles and heritage sites in Wales
Visit Valle Crucis Abbey and get your Castles of Wales Pass today to visit over 25 castles and heritage sites in Wales
Visit Caernarfon Castle and get your Castles of Wales Pass today to visit over 25 castles and heritage sites in Wales
Visit Plas Mawr Elizabethan Town House and get your Castles of Wales Pass today to visit over 25 castles and heritage sites in Wales
Visit Beaumaris Castle and get your Castles of Wales Pass today to visit over 25 castles and heritage sites in Wales